What is the difference between LED and LED filament bulbs?
You are here: Home » News » What is the difference between LED and LED filament bulbs?

What is the difference between LED and LED filament bulbs?

Views: 61     Author: Site Editor     Publish Time: 2021-06-10      Origin: Site

While the environmental benefits of LEDs are reason enough to use such money-saving bulbs in the future, some people can't get beyond their preferred sci-fi style.

While the half-glass, half-plastic design may not be entirely right for you, LED lights are also available in a more elegant form, the LED filament color bulb. these special LED filament bulbs have large light-emitting filaments and clear glass housings similar to old-fashioned incandescent bulbs. They bring a bit of style to these futuristic bulbs.

However, this style of LED filament bulb comes at a price. We'll discuss the pros and cons of traditional LEDs as well as LED filament bulbs, so you can be sure to make the right choice for your lighting needs.

This passage is going to talk about the following introductions of LED filament bulb:

1) Introduction to LEDs

2) The differences

3) Conclusion


1) Introduction to LEDs

LEDs: What makes them so unique? In order to explain in detail why filament LED bulbs are different from regular LED bulbs, it is important to understand how LEDs work.

LED stands for "light-emitting diode," and LEDs are becoming the most likely successor to the throne of the lighting world. Where incandescent bulbs have a short lifespan, providing an average of 1,000 hours of light, LEDs exceed 50,000 hours.

The longevity of LEDs can be attributed in part to their unique characteristics as a solid-state lighting type. In other words, while incandescent bulbs rely on heated filaments to produce light, and fluorescent lamps excite gas molecules for illumination, LEDs produce light by causing an electric current to flow through a semiconductor.

The whole process is more energy efficient than heating a filament like a traditional incandescent bulb. In fact, most incandescent lamps consume only 10 percent of the energy needed for light. The remaining 90 percent is given off as heat. As a result, bulbs that reduce such losses, like LEDs, will typically have a longer life.

The only drawback is that LEDs cannot produce as wide an angle of light compared to incandescent bulbs because the chip and heat sink themselves require half of the bulb. This means that if a sphere is placed around an LED bulb, only half will be lit. Small setbacks can make for amazing bulbs, but setbacks nonetheless.


2) The differences

Now that you know what LEDs are doing when they emit light, we can dive into what makes filament LEDs so different from regular LEDs.

Considering the design of a traditional incandescent bulb, filament LEDs look pretty neat. Instead of being made of just glass, like other LEDs, the filament LED's housing is made entirely of glass, just like the old incandescent bulbs. Inside, very small LEDs are placed along a glass or sapphire cylinder that resembles a filament in appearance.

Often, LED filament bulbs have several "filaments" in them, because just one filament is not enough to produce the amount of light available. As a result, many bulbs will have more than four different strings of LEDs inside, giving the appearance of an antique Edison-style bulb.

The main difference between LED filament bulbs and conventional LEDs is the location and number of individual LEDs in each bulb. While conventional LEDs may use one large LED or a group of LEDs tightly packed in a small space, LED filament bulbs spread the diodes along several different lines or "filaments". This arrangement also means that a smaller heat sink (the mechanism that carries heat away from the diode) is required.

The result of these differences is that while conventional LEDs only have a 180-degree light angle as described above, LED filament bulbs have the same range as incandescent bulbs, which means they can illuminate all corners of a room better than regular LEDs.


3) Conclusion

If you want to know more about our LED lighting products such as solar LED street lights why not contact us directly. We are happy to serve you.




WhatsApp: +86 13771869078

Mob: 0086 13771869078

E-mail: tony@tonhilighting.com.cn

Address: 511 Songbei road, Suzhou Industrial Park, Suzhou ,China


Copyright © 2020 Suzhou TONHI Lighting Technology Co.,ltd. All Rights Reserved